The Golden Compass|
A film in the same genre as "The Chronicles of Narnia" but with a little twist - in this world a persons soul lives on the outside of their body in the form of a "daemon", an animal spirit. The young can change the shape of their daemon but as they mature they tend to stick to one specific animal.
From: Lady Sekhmet
, 184 months, post #1 |
This film, due out December 7th, seems to be very similar to The
Chronicles of Narnia with a little twist - in this world a persons
soul lives on the outside of their body in the form of a "daemon",
an animal spirit. The young can change the shape of their daemon
but as they mature they tend to stick to one specific animal.|
This is an obvious symbol of how we all see the ourselves as having
infinite possibilities as children, yet come to know our own
abilities and failings as we mature. There are many "furries" who
see their interest in an animal persona for just this reason. It's
a form that most closely matches how they see their own basic
characteristics - not physically, but inside... their soul.
One other interesting turn about this novel - for the most part a
persons animal daemon is of the opposite sex :)
Find out what your own daemon is here:
The Golden Compass
From: Lady Sekhmet
, 184 months, post #2 |
And fwiw, my daemon came out as "Inachus", a male ocelot. sheesh...|
From: guest (pupdude)
, 184 months, post #3 |
major difference between "Narnia" and "Compass" .. the former based
on Christianity, the latter based on atheism/agnosticism|
From: guest (lasuvala)
, 184 months, post #4 |
my daemon is named Eumeila, a female jackal. this movie started out
as a book by the same name|
, 184 months, post #5 |
Imo, Compass based on Animism/Shamanism. Maybe, i's author is an
atheist but it's not what his story based on. For example,
H.P.Lovecraft, who were atheist too, or R.Zelazny, who wrote books
based on many myphos.|
My friend who in Zoroastrism, says that Narnia more like his
beliefs that Christianity (I were not agree with him, just for
example). If something is not Christianity it's not have to be
I suppose, that movie topic would be re-qualified as "Mystical"
only. Not furry, not gender, not Animal. There were furry
creatures, but only daemons could change their shapes.
, 184 months, post #6 |
I recall reading the first book in this series (His Dark Materials
if I recall correctly) few years ago (I was about 14 at the time).
It wasn't to my taste but my brother read all of them.|
From: guest (Bryan)
, 184 months, post #7 |
The His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman is well worth
checking out if you're a fan of the fantasy genre. I read them
about a year ago and maybe it's about time to revisit them,
especially with this movie about to come out.|
From: guest (News Monster)
, 184 months, post #8 |
Those books were pretty good. They were much darker than most other
fantasy books, what with the creepies and crawlies and the politics
and the deaths upon deaths. Still, they are a true example of that
situation of the first book really being the best.|
, 184 months, post #9 |
The books were great (dark and deep, very nice). Sadly, many people
who know about the film seem to be in the dark about the book
From: guest (Arkain)
, 184 months, post #10 |
There are no furry or gender changes in the series at all.|
Add a New Message to This Thread|
- ANY POST(s) MAY BE REMOVED at the discretion of moderators
for violation of this website's guidelines/rules or any law
applicable to this website.
- All discussions must be transformation related OR of interest to
the transformation community.
- Please try to keep posts appropriate for younger teenage eyes to
view (Things you'd be comfortable sharing with a 13 year-old).
- Do not 'attack' other posters. You may attack an individual's
comments but not the individual.
- Be polite, courteous, and respectful. Please keep the conversations
- While use of an online alias is ok. Do NOT pretend to be another
(or registered) user.
- Do not post direct links to complete copyrighted works. Links
provided by (or approved by) the copyright holder may
- Links to content hosted on websites that have a clear, and easy to
find, process for dealing with infringement(s); and a known
reputation for following through with said process, may
- Please read this site's views on copyrighted content on the FAQ
- Do not plagiarize. Credit your sources.
- For posts and material that are not safe for viewing in a workplace
or with younger eyes, please mark the thread or post as either, "MATURE CONTENT", "ADULT CONTENT",
- Please post clear SPOILER warnings if you intend to give away
details that would spoil the story for those who have not yet seen
the material, preferably by using the spoiler
tags (don't forget to close the spoiler text with the end tag),
like so: <spoiler>Text to be "hidden"
-- For additional help, please see: HOW TO: Use Spoiler tags
- When starting a New Message Thread, please include details about
your topic of discussion or request in the Subject
field to help draw in readers who are interested and avoid wasting
the time of those who are not. Also helpful in searching for the
- If you post a link, please provide some detail as to what it is.
Identify the material if possible.
- Please post in English, or include an English translation, when
- If seeking material / information, include the results of your own
efforts so that others can offer better help (and avoid wasting
time and effort on redundant searches).
- When starting a new thread to request material or information,
please begin the subject with "REQ:"
- Do not post messages in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS.
- Do not attack a user for improper spelling and/or grammar. Not all
of our community uses English as their native language.
- Please do not stray (far) from the topic of the original post.
- If a poster provides their contact information for any reason, do
NOT clutter the Message Board by asking them to contact you. They
gave out their contact information for a reason.
- No begging. Ask nicely.
- Do not feed the trolls and spammers. Please ignore them.
- Do not keep asking for clips after others have already posted
information on where to obtain the material.
- Please have some patience. Not everyone visits the board daily.
Your post may not be seen (by someone with the correct information
or idea) for several days or weeks.
- No bumping. Bumping will be treated as intentional spamming.
- Do not post advertisements.
- One exception is for products or services that relate to entries on
this site. And even then, only post an announcement once. You
should add links or content to the appropriate database entries. Do
not repeat this information to the message board. Doing so will be
- This list is neither all-inclusive or all-exclusive in nature, and
is meant to guide everyone on appropriate content for and conduct
on this Message Board.
- The purpose of this Message Board is to share information about
transformation-related content, news, ideas, etc. Also acceptable,
are conversations that are of interest to the transformation
- Moderation of posts for reasons not listed above are at the
discretion of the Trusted Users who moderate this website, for the
purpose of keeping things within the "spirit" of the owner's wishes
and the website's purpose.
- If you disagree with a moderation decision, please make an argument
as to why it should be reinstated. Use the posting guidelines to justify your point.
Do not attack the moderator.
[Edit this Page]