Gender, Mythical, Animal, Animal, Male
In "The Festival," Abdul Alhazred writes how sometimes worms and insects that feed on the corpses of dead sorcerers become possessed by their spirits and grow to obscene sizes.
In "The Moon Bog," the owner and staff of a manor-house are turned into frogs.
In "Shadow Out of Time," ancient al ...more|
, 601 months, post #1 |
Dreadful story. Man is forced to swap minds with his wife because
she is a monster. Nothing is really explored, the man just hides
From: D.B. Cooper
, 227 months, post #2 |
But it wasnt really his wife! She had been possessed by her dead
father. Lovecraft was a notorious mysoginist who naturally focused
more on the evil of the wizard than the gender change.|
, 224 months, post #3 |
Classically good stuff, a typically horrific, twisted, and
startling Lovecraft short story.|
Of course, more than anything, it's about evil forces, those who
play with them, and the innocent bystanders who get sucked into
their sinister games.
Unfortunately, the import of this particular story is reduced and
its impact rather numbed by the narration. Lovecraft normally
doesn't hesitate to cast as his protagonist, say, a man destined to
become a sea monster, or a lonely ghoul who climbs from the depths
of the earth to confront mortal humans. But, this time, the story
is told by a distant observer, a friend of the man whose wife
periodically steals his body and leaves him in hers.
So instead of hearing the tale from a witness actually in the
middle of it, we get it second or third hand from someone who has
only limited contact with any of the people involved.
Imagine your favorite horror movie told from the perspective of a
detective who doesn't even appear until after everything is over.
Any shock at what happens in "Doorstep," or horror at the gruesome
ending is muted by the fact that it's all happening to "somebody
It's a good story. Too bad the author didn't designate a different
, 217 months, post #4 |
I really hate to say it, but what was everyone expecting from a
Lovecraft story? The swapping of bodies with the wife would of
course be secondary to the machinations of the evil wizard
occupying his daughter's body, the hints of nameless horrors, and
the gruesome ending.
As to Lovecraft shying away from the narrator being the main
participent, a 'cop out' if you will. I'm sure that's entirely the
case. In the Statement of Randolph Carter the narrator waits
outside an opened tomb while his buddy Warren goes inside and meets
whatever nameless fate lies in store for those that tamper with
dark forces. Carter was also being interrogated by the police.
It just seems like a formula Lovecraft was comfortable with. A
great Lovecraft story ,but if you want TG elements look elsewhere.
Add a New Message to This Thread|
- ANY POST(s) MAY BE REMOVED at the discretion of moderators
for violation of this website's guidelines/rules or any law
applicable to this website.
- All discussions must be transformation related OR of interest to
the transformation community.
- Please try to keep posts appropriate for younger teenage eyes to
view (Things you'd be comfortable sharing with a 13 year-old).
- Do not 'attack' other posters. You may attack an individual's
comments but not the individual.
- Be polite, courteous, and respectful. Please keep the conversations
- While use of an online alias is ok. Do NOT pretend to be another
(or registered) user.
- Do not post direct links to complete copyrighted works. Links
provided by (or approved by) the copyright holder may
- Links to content hosted on websites that have a clear, and easy to
find, process for dealing with infringement(s); and a known
reputation for following through with said process, may
- Please read this site's views on copyrighted content on the FAQ
- Do not plagiarize. Credit your sources.
- For posts and material that are not safe for viewing in a workplace
or with younger eyes, please mark the thread or post as either, "MATURE CONTENT", "ADULT CONTENT",
- Please post clear SPOILER warnings if you intend to give away
details that would spoil the story for those who have not yet seen
the material, preferably by using the spoiler
tags (don't forget to close the spoiler text with the end tag),
like so: <spoiler>Text to be "hidden"
-- For additional help, please see: HOW TO: Use Spoiler tags
- When starting a New Message Thread, please include details about
your topic of discussion or request in the Subject
field to help draw in readers who are interested and avoid wasting
the time of those who are not. Also helpful in searching for the
- If you post a link, please provide some detail as to what it is.
Identify the material if possible.
- Please post in English, or include an English translation, when
- If seeking material / information, include the results of your own
efforts so that others can offer better help (and avoid wasting
time and effort on redundant searches).
- When starting a new thread to request material or information,
please begin the subject with "REQ:"
- Do not post messages in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS.
- Do not attack a user for improper spelling and/or grammar. Not all
of our community uses English as their native language.
- Please do not stray (far) from the topic of the original post.
- If a poster provides their contact information for any reason, do
NOT clutter the Message Board by asking them to contact you. They
gave out their contact information for a reason.
- No begging. Ask nicely.
- Do not feed the trolls and spammers. Please ignore them.
- Do not keep asking for clips after others have already posted
information on where to obtain the material.
- Please have some patience. Not everyone visits the board daily.
Your post may not be seen (by someone with the correct information
or idea) for several days or weeks.
- No bumping. Bumping will be treated as intentional spamming.
- Do not post advertisements.
- One exception is for products or services that relate to entries on
this site. And even then, only post an announcement once. You
should add links or content to the appropriate database entries. Do
not repeat this information to the message board. Doing so will be
- This list is neither all-inclusive or all-exclusive in nature, and
is meant to guide everyone on appropriate content for and conduct
on this Message Board.
- The purpose of this Message Board is to share information about
transformation-related content, news, ideas, etc. Also acceptable,
are conversations that are of interest to the transformation
- Moderation of posts for reasons not listed above are at the
discretion of the Trusted Users who moderate this website, for the
purpose of keeping things within the "spirit" of the owner's wishes
and the website's purpose.
- If you disagree with a moderation decision, please make an argument
as to why it should be reinstated. Use the posting guidelines to justify your point.
Do not attack the moderator.
[Edit this Page]