From: Joan Gnarlwode
, 602 months, post #1 |
This book will be considered offensive to people of classic
feminist sensibilities. But if you come from the other school of
feminism, that says that the differences between men and women are
wonderful, and that the old-fashioned sex roles are functional and
happiness to many men and women, you won't find this offensive. In
fact it some ways Heinlein was rather brave to put forward this
view of things--which portrays female characters who are strong,
independent, and sexy, but fiercely and proudly old-fashionedly
female. I think there's a bit of unconscious misogyny in people who
find this view offensive.
That's really what Heinlein is explaring in this book. The TG
elements here are very strong, it's basically the main storyline
and pretty damn sexy. The ending does become a bit unfocused, but
it's still fun. If you've read a lot of Heinlein you'll recognize
that this suffers from some of the predictable problems of later
Heinlein, but if Heinlein is relatively new to you this shouldn't
It would also be tempting to suggest that this book's TG elements
are handled in a "cliched" fashion, except this book was written
decades ago and as such has to be considered to predate anything
that's become cliched in modern TG fiction. The book was well ahead
of its time.
, 602 months, post #2 |
The book was ok as far as the challenge of making things appear to
be a reasonable male to female switch, but the consept of two and
later three identities inside one body and conversing with each
other makes it appear as though the book is the story of a schizo
instead of a man finding himself to be a woman. Some good
paragraph's but the book as a whole is not connected right.|
, 602 months, post #3 |
Late Heinlein, i.e. not very good at all. I found the
From: Ivan Homeless
, 602 months, post #4 |
I think Robert Heinlein's biggest problem is that all of his works
have the same characters and the same basic feel. So it is here.
Most women I've talked to about this book were insulted by
Heinlein's conception of what being transformed into a woman would
mean, and I can't help but agree. It's occasionally interesting,
and certainly grapples with many of the "change" issues that most
of us would associate with the shock of waking up in a body of the
opposite sex, but it does so in extremely cliched fashion. All that
being said, it IS first and foremost a TG body-swapping novel, and
will probably interest most readers of this list on this basis
alone, despite Heinlein's poor sense of character development and
, 229 months, post #5 |
Superb book. A must-read. This one should be on the "top ten" list
of books on this list, maybe even number 1. The fact that it
predates so many similar works -most of which are pale imitations-
is all the more remarkable. And, while it was published decades
ago, it presents and explores male and female characters and
characterizations vastly better than most writings which have come
out since. No psychos. No head cases. No neurotics.|
Find this one! Buy. Read. Learn.
, 207 months, post #6 |
For its time, this book is interesting and groudbreaking. Look Irma
La Deuce for a comparison. If you did like this, then may I
recommend all of John Varley's work,including, Milineum(non tg).
The future is here and his name is Varley, now let's get him off
, 204 months, post #7 |
This is no great work of art, but if you like Heilein and pure
escapism, then it is a good light read. It is a good airport book
in that you can skim thru most of i in 8 to 12 hours. It is also
fun to reread as Heilein does make some points that are fun and
From: guest (Gamemaker1)
, 162 months, post #8 |
I don't really know what to say about this story. It was
compelling, but only if you like physical joy. This stories really
bothering me, wrong images always popping up. One subtle point to
the story. In the beginning of the book(after the brain transplant)
he hears the voice that had occupied the body. You don't know if
shes crazy. But, I wouldn't recomend this book to anybody under the
age of 25. Bit radical, but the entire book is as bad as the Eyes
of the Calculor. (Don't even ask) The cover was pornographic.|
Add a New Message to This Thread|
- ANY POST(s) MAY BE REMOVED at the discretion of moderators
for violation of this website's guidelines/rules or any law
applicable to this website.
- All discussions must be transformation related OR of interest to
the transformation community.
- Please try to keep posts appropriate for younger teenage eyes to
view (Things you'd be comfortable sharing with a 13 year-old).
- Do not 'attack' other posters. You may attack an individual's
comments but not the individual.
- Be polite, courteous, and respectful. Please keep the conversations
- While use of an online alias is ok. Do NOT pretend to be another
(or registered) user.
- Do not post direct links to complete copyrighted works. Links
provided by (or approved by) the copyright holder may
- Links to content hosted on websites that have a clear, and easy to
find, process for dealing with infringement(s); and a known
reputation for following through with said process, may
- Please read this site's views on copyrighted content on the FAQ
- Do not plagiarize. Credit your sources.
- For posts and material that are not safe for viewing in a workplace
or with younger eyes, please mark the thread or post as either, "MATURE CONTENT", "ADULT CONTENT",
- Please post clear SPOILER warnings if you intend to give away
details that would spoil the story for those who have not yet seen
the material, preferably by using the spoiler
tags (don't forget to close the spoiler text with the end tag),
like so: <spoiler>Text to be "hidden"
-- For additional help, please see: HOW TO: Use Spoiler tags
- When starting a New Message Thread, please include details about
your topic of discussion or request in the Subject
field to help draw in readers who are interested and avoid wasting
the time of those who are not. Also helpful in searching for the
- If you post a link, please provide some detail as to what it is.
Identify the material if possible.
- Please post in English, or include an English translation, when
- If seeking material / information, include the results of your own
efforts so that others can offer better help (and avoid wasting
time and effort on redundant searches).
- When starting a new thread to request material or information,
please begin the subject with "REQ:"
- Do not post messages in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS.
- Do not attack a user for improper spelling and/or grammar. Not all
of our community uses English as their native language.
- Please do not stray (far) from the topic of the original post.
- If a poster provides their contact information for any reason, do
NOT clutter the Message Board by asking them to contact you. They
gave out their contact information for a reason.
- No begging. Ask nicely.
- Do not feed the trolls and spammers. Please ignore them.
- Do not keep asking for clips after others have already posted
information on where to obtain the material.
- Please have some patience. Not everyone visits the board daily.
Your post may not be seen (by someone with the correct information
or idea) for several days or weeks.
- No bumping. Bumping will be treated as intentional spamming.
- Do not post advertisements.
- One exception is for products or services that relate to entries on
this site. And even then, only post an announcement once. You
should add links or content to the appropriate database entries. Do
not repeat this information to the message board. Doing so will be
- This list is neither all-inclusive or all-exclusive in nature, and
is meant to guide everyone on appropriate content for and conduct
on this Message Board.
- The purpose of this Message Board is to share information about
transformation-related content, news, ideas, etc. Also acceptable,
are conversations that are of interest to the transformation
- Moderation of posts for reasons not listed above are at the
discretion of the Trusted Users who moderate this website, for the
purpose of keeping things within the "spirit" of the owner's wishes
and the website's purpose.
- If you disagree with a moderation decision, please make an argument
as to why it should be reinstated. Use the posting guidelines to justify your point.
Do not attack the moderator.
[Edit this Page]