Not sure if this would fall into a folklore category or not, It is told that during the escape from Sodom and Gommorah, Lot's wife turned back to look at the destruction and was turned into a pillar of salt.|
, 197 months, post #1 |
Very good book with a lot of interesting stories. Well worth
reading, but not really worth it for the transformation. :)|
, 196 months, post #2 |
I think "turning to a pillar of salt" was 'biblical slang' for
becomming barren. Lot's wife didn't die, she just couldn't have
anymore children (which, in that world, was a BIG deal).|
, 196 months, post #3 |
I realize that this isn't really the place for Biblical debates,
but I don't think that the idea that turning into a pillar of salt
is a euphemism for becoming barren for several reasons. For one
thing, Genesis 19:17 says that the angel told Lot's family that
they'll be swept away if they look back. Verse 24 says that sulfer
and fire was raining down and everyone in the cities of Sodom and
Gomorrah were overturned with the cities. She turns into the pillar
in v. 25. Lot's wife isn't mentioned any more, though it specifies
in v. 30 that he lives with his two daughters. I think the best
interpretation of that verses is actually not that a supernatural
transformation took place. It seems to me that they were
miraculously surviving the disaster. When she looked behind, she
lost the merit of protection and died on the spot. Her dead body
was then covered with the falling sulfer and was trapped in it
before it could fall to the ground.|
I would point out: (1) I don't know of the phrase of becomming a
pillar of salt is used anywhere else in the Bible, so I doubt it
can be considered a euphemism. (2) Transformation isn't used
elsewhere in the Bible as a punishment. (3) Sudden death is. (4)
The Bible doesn't seem to need euphmeisms for barrenness; it
clearly states that women are barren when relevent.
From: guest (Kris)
, 166 months, post #4 |
God promised that he would save the city of Sodom if Abraham found
ten righteous people there. He sent two angels to Sodom, and they
encountered Lot at the gates of the city. Lot took the two angels
to his house and offered them food and place to sleep. Later that
night, the men of the city surrounded his house and ordered that he
delivered to them the two men he had taken in. When they tried to
force their way in, the angels struck them with blindness. They
then spoke to Lot of the impending destruction of the city and told
him to leave with his wife and two daughters. He and his family
were warned not to look behind when they left to city, but Lot's
wife did so and was instantly transformed into a salt pillar.|
Add a New Message to This Thread|
- ANY POST(s) MAY BE REMOVED at the discretion of moderators
for violation of this website's guidelines/rules or any law
applicable to this website.
- All discussions must be transformation related OR of interest to
the transformation community.
- Please try to keep posts appropriate for younger teenage eyes to
view (Things you'd be comfortable sharing with a 13 year-old).
- Do not 'attack' other posters. You may attack an individual's
comments but not the individual.
- Be polite, courteous, and respectful. Please keep the conversations
- While use of an online alias is ok. Do NOT pretend to be another
(or registered) user.
- Do not post direct links to complete copyrighted works. Links
provided by (or approved by) the copyright holder may
- Links to content hosted on websites that have a clear, and easy to
find, process for dealing with infringement(s); and a known
reputation for following through with said process, may
- Please read this site's views on copyrighted content on the FAQ
- Do not plagiarize. Credit your sources.
- For posts and material that are not safe for viewing in a workplace
or with younger eyes, please mark the thread or post as either, "MATURE CONTENT", "ADULT CONTENT",
- Please post clear SPOILER warnings if you intend to give away
details that would spoil the story for those who have not yet seen
the material, preferably by using the spoiler
tags (don't forget to close the spoiler text with the end tag),
like so: <spoiler>Text to be "hidden"
-- For additional help, please see: HOW TO: Use Spoiler tags
- When starting a New Message Thread, please include details about
your topic of discussion or request in the Subject
field to help draw in readers who are interested and avoid wasting
the time of those who are not. Also helpful in searching for the
- If you post a link, please provide some detail as to what it is.
Identify the material if possible.
- Please post in English, or include an English translation, when
- If seeking material / information, include the results of your own
efforts so that others can offer better help (and avoid wasting
time and effort on redundant searches).
- When starting a new thread to request material or information,
please begin the subject with "REQ:"
- Do not post messages in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS.
- Do not attack a user for improper spelling and/or grammar. Not all
of our community uses English as their native language.
- Please do not stray (far) from the topic of the original post.
- If a poster provides their contact information for any reason, do
NOT clutter the Message Board by asking them to contact you. They
gave out their contact information for a reason.
- No begging. Ask nicely.
- Do not feed the trolls and spammers. Please ignore them.
- Do not keep asking for clips after others have already posted
information on where to obtain the material.
- Please have some patience. Not everyone visits the board daily.
Your post may not be seen (by someone with the correct information
or idea) for several days or weeks.
- No bumping. Bumping will be treated as intentional spamming.
- Do not post advertisements.
- One exception is for products or services that relate to entries on
this site. And even then, only post an announcement once. You
should add links or content to the appropriate database entries. Do
not repeat this information to the message board. Doing so will be
- This list is neither all-inclusive or all-exclusive in nature, and
is meant to guide everyone on appropriate content for and conduct
on this Message Board.
- The purpose of this Message Board is to share information about
transformation-related content, news, ideas, etc. Also acceptable,
are conversations that are of interest to the transformation
- Moderation of posts for reasons not listed above are at the
discretion of the Trusted Users who moderate this website, for the
purpose of keeping things within the "spirit" of the owner's wishes
and the website's purpose.
- If you disagree with a moderation decision, please make an argument
as to why it should be reinstated. Use the posting guidelines to justify your point.
Do not attack the moderator.
[Edit this Page]