From: guest (Estranhosidade)
, 7 days, post #1 |
So, first of all, I need to make it clear that I don't think a
gender inclusive world is a bad thing, not at all, I think it's
very good that we live in a world that more and more people accept
Click to show spoiler
Nygubhtu, V'z cerggl fxrcgvpny, abg gb fnl bhgevtug plavpny, nobhg
gur jubyr "gurer ner 50123012312 qvssrerag havdhr traqref" guvat.
With that out of the way... I can't help but think that this
inclusiveness ends up making body swap stories, more precisely body
swap stories involving the male-to-female thematic, less
"interesting". Especially if such stories are taking place
At least to me, one of the most appealing factors of a body swap
stories was and is the idea of someone being forced to be what they
are not. Of course, this factor happens in all body swap stories –
including male-to-male and female-to-female – but those stories, in
which the person switch bodies with someone of their own gender,
they don't have such a "forbidden fruit" aspect.
Click to show spoiler
Urapr gur ernfba gung ZGS fgbevrf jrer nyjnlf zber cbchyne – va zl
And by that I mean: A man who switched bodies with another man can
still wear men's clothes, he can even wear the same clothing style
that he used to wear. He can still act all tough and manly and in
general, he can still date women and so on...
But, nowadays society become more and more accepting of... let's
say... different gender identities. People, especially in Europe
and Western countries, accept more the idea of gender dysphoria,
and don't see trans people as freakies, as weirdos.
So if you wake up in a woman's body... the whole "you are trapped"
thing seems less challenging today, and by consequence seems a
little less bit interesting, from a storytelling point of view.
If this happened nowadays... you wouldn't be so "trapped", or not
as trapped as you were in the 80s or 70s. You could undergo through
hormonal therapy and sex reassignment surgery and be able to go on
living as a man or as a woman...
Another thing worth highlight is how technological evolution is
allowing, and will be allowing, more and more people to change
their bodies and appearance – I think it's a matter of time until
trans women are able to get pregnant. I mean, a couple years ago
they were talking about these Chinese scientists wanting to perform
a head transplant.
So it's not completely unthinkable to wonder that still in our
lifetime we will see a "whole body transplant". Let alone the
possibility of full immersive VR in which you are able to put a
headset and suddenly you become anybody you want, and any physical
form you wish.
So I think that these two factors: social acceptance as well as new
futuristic technologies (body transplants, VR, etc...) make the
body swap stories less interesting, basically, because there is the
possibility of people, thanks to this acceptance and technologies
to just change their new bodies or, just flat-out get rid of them.
P.S: Sorry for my shitty English.
From: guest (Estranhosidade)
, 7 days, post #2 |
Ops, the title got cut:|
Does our gender inclusive world as well as new technologies make
MTF body swap stories less interesting*
From: guest (Passing Through)
, 6 days, post #3 |
I think you underestimate the challenges someone faces as gender
dysphoric in today’s world.|
That said, a good number of MTF stories involve a bit of mental
change, ie the swapee eventually finds themselves comfortable in
their new sex/gender, possibly with their sexual orientation
altered. And while we’ve still to achieve true gender equality in
our world, things are definitely easier for women now than even
thirty years ago. I enjoy historical transformation stories for
that very reason— the challenges for the protagonist are greater
, 6 days, post #4 |
New technologies may one day make body swaps possible, does body
swap fiction loose out when that happens?|
Maybe a little, in the way Pre 1969 Sci Fi could do anything,
humans with goldfish bowls on there heads on the moon, humans
surviving in space with a breathing mask on etc. nowadays such Sci
Fi looks really silly as we know what is possible and what space is
really like. Yet there are still Sci Fi shoes.
I’d say “less interesting” is wrong. Less creative maybe, but
change is good. Maybe in a future where people are swapping bodies
for fun every weekend old body swap films and stories will look as
silly as old Sci Fi shows, but good story tellers will still find
ways to make interesting stories.
In my opinion.
Also we will never know what the “soul” is, so debated over our
bodies and souls will continue forever.
From: guest (Estranhosidade)
, 6 days, post #5 |
I always thought about how the changes in real life affect the
stories that we tell in fiction, as well as vice-versa – and here
I'm talking in a general manner. Not especially about this case.|
Many times such changes, whether they are social or technological
(or both), they end up closing a given story path. And by that I
mean, for example:
Those suspense stories like "There is a killer on the loose and we
are alone here in our woods cabin" don't work as much, or as
easily, nowadays, since smartphone as well as service coverage area
are so widespread. A person being haunted by a serial murder could
easily call for help.
Add a New Message to This Thread|
- ANY POST(s) MAY BE REMOVED at the discretion of moderators
for violation of this website's guidelines/rules or any law
applicable to this website.
- All discussions must be transformation related OR of interest to
the transformation community.
- Please try to keep posts appropriate for younger teenage eyes to
view (Things you'd be comfortable sharing with a 13 year-old).
- Do not 'attack' other posters. You may attack an individual's
comments but not the individual.
- Be polite, courteous, and respectful. Please keep the conversations
- While use of an online alias is ok. Do NOT pretend to be another
(or registered) user.
- Do not post direct links to complete copyrighted works. Links
provided by (or approved by) the copyright holder may
- Links to content hosted on websites that have a clear, and easy to
find, process for dealing with infringement(s); and a known
reputation for following through with said process, may
- Please read this site's views on copyrighted content on the FAQ
- Do not plagiarize. Credit your sources.
- For posts and material that are not safe for viewing in a workplace
or with younger eyes, please mark the thread or post as either, "MATURE CONTENT", "ADULT CONTENT",
- Please post clear SPOILER warnings if you intend to give away
details that would spoil the story for those who have not yet seen
the material, preferably by using the spoiler
tags (don't forget to close the spoiler text with the end tag),
like so: <spoiler>Text to be "hidden"
-- For additional help, please see: HOW TO: Use Spoiler tags
- When starting a New Message Thread, please include details about
your topic of discussion or request in the Subject
field to help draw in readers who are interested and avoid wasting
the time of those who are not. Also helpful in searching for the
- If you post a link, please provide some detail as to what it is.
Identify the material if possible.
- Please post in English, or include an English translation, when
- If seeking material / information, include the results of your own
efforts so that others can offer better help (and avoid wasting
time and effort on redundant searches).
- When starting a new thread to request material or information,
please begin the subject with "REQ:"
- Do not post messages in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS.
- Do not attack a user for improper spelling and/or grammar. Not all
of our community uses English as their native language.
- Please do not stray (far) from the topic of the original post.
- If a poster provides their contact information for any reason, do
NOT clutter the Message Board by asking them to contact you. They
gave out their contact information for a reason.
- No begging. Ask nicely.
- Do not feed the trolls and spammers. Please ignore them.
- Do not keep asking for clips after others have already posted
information on where to obtain the material.
- Please have some patience. Not everyone visits the board daily.
Your post may not be seen (by someone with the correct information
or idea) for several days or weeks.
- No bumping. Bumping will be treated as intentional spamming.
- Do not post advertisements.
- One exception is for products or services that relate to entries on
this site. And even then, only post an announcement once. You
should add links or content to the appropriate database entries. Do
not repeat this information to the message board. Doing so will be
- This list is neither all-inclusive or all-exclusive in nature, and
is meant to guide everyone on appropriate content for and conduct
on this Message Board.
- The purpose of this Message Board is to share information about
transformation-related content, news, ideas, etc. Also acceptable,
are conversations that are of interest to the transformation
- Moderation of posts for reasons not listed above are at the
discretion of the Trusted Users who moderate this website, for the
purpose of keeping things within the "spirit" of the owner's wishes
and the website's purpose.
- If you disagree with a moderation decision, please make an argument
as to why it should be reinstated. Use the posting guidelines to justify your point.
Do not attack the moderator.
[Edit this Page]