, 6 months, post #1 |
Like, jesus christ, I just wanna read a damn story.|
Stop giving me the 'limited servers' excuses when less than 500
people visit your site per day.
I'm not giving you my money, asshats.
From: guest (Shucks)
, 6 months, post #2 |
Yeah they've gotten crazy aggressive with it lately to the point
where they're going to drive all of their users away, textbook
example of "How to kill a website."|
Oh and even if you pay them, it doesn't get rid of ads. Good shit
, 6 months, post #3 |
It's definitely annoying but companies and websites of all sorts,
not just writing.com, need to really think of ways to make money
beyond ads. Not just because ads are frequent and annoying (as they
are) but because often times a lot of bad ads get through.|
With writing.com specifically, the biggest problem is how badly
overpriced the paid accounts are. $10 for 3 months of Basic
membership? $20 for a year? $50 for 12 months of Upgraded
membership? Nobody's going to want to really pay those prices, to
say nothing of the hundreds of dollars you'd be shelling out for
Premium and Premium Plus. The reality is that there should only be
one level of paid (the Premium level) charged, for example, around
$2.99 to $3.99 per month or a one-time yearly purchase of $30 to
$40 IMO. People, psychologically, react better to smaller numbers
and it'd probably be able to get them to purchase things on a
monthly subscription than $9.99 for 3 months of Basic membership.
But all that said, yeah the punishing of free users by throttling
their ability to view stories is a shame as is the site's
indifference to free users which amounts to "if you're not giving
us money then buzz off". I'm lucky in that I've had the gift points
necessary to get the Basic membership and if need be I could
probably take commissions for GPs if I needed more, much like how
Seuzz has been doing. But of course not everybody is a writer or
wants to write or anything so that option doesn't exist for
From: guest (Not op)
, 6 months, post #4 |
Wouldn't it better if they allow users to support the
users(writers) like patreon and take a cut from there? Lol it seems
like this move will kill their site entirely|
From: guest (Not op)
, 6 months, post #5 |
Probably should start backing up your favorite stories..|
From: guest (IWishIwasALittleGirl)
, 6 months, post #6 |
I hope the community moves on to another site/platform. I'm sure
that are many alternatives out there. I'm not blaming them nor
saying that they don't have the right to do what they choose to do
with their page.... But...|
Although, many users are not paying it... Many of those free users
are writing stories for free as well, which is the precise reason
for why people are going to their website.
If you kick out free users, you are also kicking out people who
write for free. Which, I assume, adds value to your whole platform.
So, I'm somewhat skeptical about how good is this business
strategy. With this move they might end up alienating their users.
From: guest (IWishIwasALittleGirl)
, 6 months, post #7 |
>Probably should start backing up your favorite stories..|
From: guest (guest)
, 6 months, post #8 |
The new FB guys are open to rehosting dead interactives over at
fictionbranches.net. They can't really stop anyone from posting
live stories either but aren't going to actively encourage it for
But yes, it's clear that StoryMaster wants to kill the only part of
his site that generates traffic, so probably a prelude to
discontinuing offering them altogether. Best to back up your
stories now so you don't lose them. ARchive.org has been blocked by
w.c recently so even the robots aren't capturing the content
From: guest (That_One_Guy)
, 6 months, post #9 |
It just seems like a dick move. I'm sure that the site's not
exactly rife with ways to make money on the part of the
siterunners, but throttling free users like this is really
egregious. If interactive stories are such a sink hole monetarily,
even with the advent of the optional mining stuff (which I'm
guessing not many people do), why not ask for donations or
something periodically to pay for server costs or some shit?|
But hey, I'm not exactly an expert on this stuff, so what the hell
do I know.
Also, 100+ dollars for year-long Premium and up? Fuck that, I could
pay for Horizon: Zero Dawn AND Persona 5 for that much. I love ya,
but I'm not made of money, writing.com.
Add a New Message to This Thread|
- ANY POST(s) MAY BE REMOVED at the discretion of moderators
for violation of this website's guidelines/rules or any law
applicable to this website.
- All discussions must be transformation related OR of interest to
the transformation community.
- Please try to keep posts appropriate for younger teenage eyes to
view (Things you'd be comfortable sharing with a 13 year-old).
- Do not 'attack' other posters. You may attack an individual's
comments but not the individual.
- Be polite, courteous, and respectful. Please keep the conversations
- While use of an online alias is ok. Do NOT pretend to be another
(or registered) user.
- Do not post direct links to complete copyrighted works. Links
provided by (or approved by) the copyright holder may
- Links to content hosted on websites that have a clear, and easy to
find, process for dealing with infringement(s); and a known
reputation for following through with said process, may
- Please read this site's views on copyrighted content on the FAQ
- Do not plagiarize. Credit your sources.
- For posts and material that are not safe for viewing in a workplace
or with younger eyes, please mark the thread or post as either, "MATURE CONTENT", "ADULT CONTENT",
- Please post clear SPOILER warnings if you intend to give away
details that would spoil the story for those who have not yet seen
the material, preferably by using the spoiler
tags (don't forget to close the spoiler text with the end tag),
like so: <spoiler>Text to be "hidden"
-- For additional help, please see: HOW TO: Use Spoiler tags
- When starting a New Message Thread, please include details about
your topic of discussion or request in the Subject
field to help draw in readers who are interested and avoid wasting
the time of those who are not. Also helpful in searching for the
- If you post a link, please provide some detail as to what it is.
Identify the material if possible.
- Please post in English, or include an English translation, when
- If seeking material / information, include the results of your own
efforts so that others can offer better help (and avoid wasting
time and effort on redundant searches).
- When starting a new thread to request material or information,
please begin the subject with "REQ:"
- Do not post messages in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS.
- Do not attack a user for improper spelling and/or grammar. Not all
of our community uses English as their native language.
- Please do not stray (far) from the topic of the original post.
- If a poster provides their contact information for any reason, do
NOT clutter the Message Board by asking them to contact you. They
gave out their contact information for a reason.
- No begging. Ask nicely.
- Do not feed the trolls and spammers. Please ignore them.
- Do not keep asking for clips after others have already posted
information on where to obtain the material.
- Please have some patience. Not everyone visits the board daily.
Your post may not be seen (by someone with the correct information
or idea) for several days or weeks.
- No bumping. Bumping will be treated as intentional spamming.
- Do not post advertisements.
- One exception is for products or services that relate to entries on
this site. And even then, only post an announcement once. You
should add links or content to the appropriate database entries. Do
not repeat this information to the message board. Doing so will be
- This list is neither all-inclusive or all-exclusive in nature, and
is meant to guide everyone on appropriate content for and conduct
on this Message Board.
- The purpose of this Message Board is to share information about
transformation-related content, news, ideas, etc. Also acceptable,
are conversations that are of interest to the transformation
- Moderation of posts for reasons not listed above are at the
discretion of the Trusted Users who moderate this website, for the
purpose of keeping things within the "spirit" of the owner's wishes
and the website's purpose.
- If you disagree with a moderation decision, please make an argument
as to why it should be reinstated. Use the posting guidelines to justify your point.
Do not attack the moderator.
[Edit this Page]